Sunday, October 10, 2010

Amy

I just read your blog. I'm assuming you wrote these words. I also noticed the larger profile picture message. I never noticed this on Facebook. Wow, I wish more men openly supported breast cancer. I can hardly talk about my experiences. Perhaps I can write about them some day.

On my worst days after chemotherapy, I recall the overwhelming desire to want to scream and dig my fingernails into the wall. I could not escape the misery of chemotherapy. So I starting walking and kept walking until I reached two miles. Unless you've been there, it's hard to understand. People may ask how you feel, but most don't really care or want to hear the ugly details.

During that time I found new friends, lost some old, but reconnected with some as well. For me the worst is guilt over not being the best mother I could be. There were many days that Raymond got the kids off to school. The most I did was roll over in bed to give them a kiss and tell them that I loved them. I hope they grow up okay despite me.

Now I get up at 5:00 a.m. to cook them a warm breakfast before they go to school. I am also there to put them on the bus. My boys attended Notre Dame Elementary at the time of my treatments. The teachers and principal were supportive of our family and prayed for us. My favorite was when during morning prayers shortly after my diagnosis Nathaniel asked his teacher and class to pray for mommy's boobie.

Thanks for listening. Now I'm going to pretend I never shared with you. It is hard for me still.