Friday, October 29, 2010

Amy

Raymond and I are leaving with the boys to spend Halloween with my parents and family in Sheffield PA. The below thought came to me, and I want to share with you. Please note that in the below when I say you, it is a third person you.

You have given me the label of disability and, therefore, have preconceived ideas as to how I am to behave and react in your world. However, you have overlooked that I am a human being who every day faces the same challenges that any other mother, wife, daughter, sister, and friend does. 

But in your mind, disability is a cloud that engulfs me, guides me, and dictates to others who I should be. And, if I challenge your beliefs and expectations, you conclude that I have a chip on my shoulder, have something to prove, or have a rotten attitude. I have apologized to you many times for not living up to your label, when are you going to forgive me and stop hating me?