I have a brief thought to share.
It was mid September 1990. I was in my first year as a graduate student at Vanderbilt University. I was one of 13 students admitted to the psychology program and the first with a visual disability. For the first assignment in our statistics course we had to read The Mismeasure of Man by Steven Gould and then, in essay format, apply our knowledge of statistics and research methodology to critically analyze the reading.
As I walked into the room the on the day the assignment was returned, the professor stopped me to mention that he and the TA thought my essay was the best of all the student. I thought privately to myself “No kidding.” I always felt instructors had lower expectations of me, so when I performed even average, they were astounded. Keeping this in mind, I remain humble as not to confuse astonishment of ability, despite disability, with praise. Yes, I can read, write, and even ride a bike. Why are you surprised?
BTW: I saw Steven Gould give a talk at the Jackie Gleason Theater in Miami. Francis Crick was in the audience too. That was a cool science moment for me.
Thanks for sharing your writings. I look forward to them.