This is about what the “Coming of the Snow” meant to me.
In May 2009, I had my last surgery for cancer treatment. I looked at every sunrise as a new and beautiful day to spend with my children. I cherished every full moon and new bloom on the honeysuckles. I was alive and grateful to spend each day with my children. I celebrated the first day of summer and the first day of autumn. I was alive.
Others noticed that my hair had grown back and immediately concluded my “cancer” was gone as if I had just gotten over a cold. What they did not know is that cancer is a sentient and even if its life has been purged from your body, it lives in your consciousness.
As autumn turned into winter, I anticipated the first snow. The first snow always brought me joy. But this year it was different, it was the first winter since cancer invaded my life. I was lost and searching for the new me. A dear friend shared with me a song titled “The Coming of the Snow.”
For me this song was not about going home, but about finding myself and rediscovering my love for life, full moons, falling leaves, and the first snow of the season. I cannot wait for the “Coming of the Snow” this year. I will be out there catching snowflakes with my children.